Certified Forklift Operator

If you want to be a forklift operator in Australia, you must be certified by the Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA). This is a legal requirement by the Australian government to reduce the number of forklift-related accidents at workplaces. The certification also ensures that forklift operators are aware of the risks associated with the job.

So how do you become a certified Operator in Australia?

First and foremost, you must undergo training in a Registered Training Organization (RTO). After you are trained, you will also need to be assessed by WorkSafe assessor in the same organization before you can apply for a national high-risk work license (HRWL). In Australia, things are done differently, although the training is the same as other countries, the HRWL is issued by the Worksafe/WorkCover. In other countries, the license is issued by the training organization. This license will be the proof you need to show that you can safely operate a forklift.

The forklift license is divided into two classes. These are:

Order-Picking Machine (TLILIC2002A LO license)

This license is given to operators who can drive an order-picking forklift. Here the load control carriage and the control moves together.

Forklift Truck (TLILIC2001A LF license)

This license is given to operators who are qualified to drive a forklift truck that is equipped with a mast and an elevated carriage which is attached with a pair of fork arms or any other attachment. This also includes a truck on which the operator is lifted together with the attachment for order-picking.

Choose the license that best suits your needs.

Who Can Apply for the National High-Risk Work License (HRWL)?

Below are the requirements you must meet to qualify for a national high-risk work license


You must be 18 years and above for you to apply for a forklift license. or you must at least be turning 18 at the time of the assessment.


You must submit your Ids showing your address to prove your residency. If you are a non-resident of the territory, you must submit documentation to prove that you have been contracted by an employer whose business is in that territory. This could be a contract or a letter of employment from your employer.

English proficiency

You must have basic knowledge in both spoken and written English to train and apply for a national high-risk work license. The fork-lift training course is taught in English. That is why you must be able to speak and write in English for you to understand the course. You will also need English knowledge to perform well at work. You need to be able to communicate well with your co-workers and to understand instructions from your superiors.

Identity Proof

To prove your identity, you must submit 100 points of evidence of identity (EOI) before you can train and apply for a forklift license. Below is a classification of documents and their points

Primary Documents- 70 points

  • Birth card
  • Birth certificate
  • Current/expired passport- if it is expired, it must not be canceled in the past 2 years
  • Diplomatic documents or certificates issued to refugees

Secondary Documents- 40 points and must contain a photo of the applicant

  • Driver’s license
  • Retail Merchant Services (RMS) card
  • Public employee card

Ids with 35 points

  • Notice of council rate
  • Certificate of employment issued by the employer in the last 2 years
  • Official land title
A mortgage document and any other related document issued by the financial institution

These documents must have a name and address of the applicant

Ids with 25 points

  • Credit card
  • Marriage certificate
  • Driver’s license issued in another country
  • Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Service (EFTPOS) card
  • Phone, internet, water, gas, electricity billing
  • Bank records
  • Receipt from a real estate company
  • Signed lease/contract agreement
  • Trade association Membership

Applying for a Forklift License

After you are done with your training you will receive a Statement of Attainment and notice of assessment from your institution. The institution will also submit your national high-risk work license application to WorkSafe.

The training is divided into two sections. The classroom training which will equip you with the theoretical knowledge you need to be an operator. Your trainer will also give you a written exam to assess your understanding. The second part is the practical training and is the most important. This is where you will learn how to safely and confidently operate an actual truck. You must complete both sections of the training and pass for you to qualify to apply for a HRW license.

Remember, you must apply for a Unique Student Identifier (USI) in an RTO before you enroll for a forklift course. You will not receive your Statement of Attainment if you do not have your USI.


It is the obligation of the employer to ensure that the employee is competent enough to be an operator in their warehouse or working area. It is also the responsibility of the employer to determine if the employee is of sound mind and healthy to operate in their warehouse or working area. Therefore, if you want to rent Forklift truck in north coast you can check North Coast Fork Truck. Make sure that you are working with a competent forklift operator.