THE death of former Under-23 soccer star, Simphiwe “Boy-Boy” Mosia (31), has shocked Mzansi!
Boy-Boy’s close friends claimed the star, who was buried in Hammarsdale, north of Durban, yesterday, died of a drug overdose last Sunday.
Sunday Sun sources said Boy-Boy had just got a new job and was celebrating his first salary.
“He spent his first salary on booze and drugs. He had so much drugs on the day he died,” claimed the source.
According to the source, Boy-Boy collapsed and his family rushed him to a doctor, who confirmed that he overdosed.
Close friends from his home town, Hammarsdale, told Sunday Sun Boy-Boy, who made his name 15 years ago when he played for the national team, was a dead man walking.
A friend said the struggle to find a team that was interested in him when he got back from overseas in 2008, killed him inside.
“After realising South African teams showed no interest in him, he went hard on booze.
“At first he used to drink at home, but lately he didn’t care. He drank like it was nobody’s business,” said the friend.
Another friend said it was disappointing how he handled himself in his final days.
“He mixed alcohol with pills and he’d spend a lot of time in taverns and bars in the neighbourhood, and go home around midnight.
“At times he’d come home the early hours of the morning,” the friend said.
A third friend said even though Boy-Boy was talented, he was irresponsible and visionless.
“Some of the big teams spotted his attacking talent on the sports field, but he’d ruin things by bunking gym,” the friend said.
Boy-Boy died on Sunday after spending time with friends.
His aunt, Anna Nene, said her nephew died a sudden death after a short illness.
“He collapsed. We tried all we could, but it didn’t work.
“He passed away in our arms,” she said.
She didn’t want to talk about allegations of a drug overdose.
KZN police spokesperson, Lieutenant-Colonel Thulani Zwane, confirmed 31-year-old Boy-Boy was admitted to hospital.
He said the star was found by his friends in an unstable condition and was later certified dead in hospital.
“A post-mortem has been conducted and we’re awaiting the results.
“Mpumalanga police are investigating,” Lt-Col Zwane said.