DURBAN University of Technology students joined the protest for the first time yesterday.
And students at the University of KwaZulu-Natal’s Pietermaritzburg campus allegedly burned down part of the William O’Brian residence yesterday morning.
Nine vehicles were burnt at the University of Zululand on Sunday.
It appears there were no lectures at the three campuses. Student Athandile Lungani was rushed to City Hospital in Durban after collapsing.
Zululand SRC president Zama Mncube said: “We have made it clear to our comrades that they should not use violence or any kind of vandalism.”
Sphelele Nguse,SRC president at the Pietermaritzburg campus, said vandalism on campus tarnishes the struggle for free education.
“We want free education. It’s important to ensure that the infrastructure of our institution is protected because we are going to need it in future,” Nguse said.
Yesterday, students gathered at the library gardens for a prayer service.
There were cops and private security officers at the gathering.
Lesiba Seshoka, spokesman for the University of KwaZulu-Natal, said a case of arson was being investigated.
KZN police spokesman Lieutenant-
Colonel Thulani Zwane said a case of malicious damage to property was opened at Mtunzini Police Station.
  • TSHWANE: Tshwane University of Technology suspended classes for the day as students barricaded campus entrances.
University spokeswoman Willa de Ruyter said: “Management remains committed to engaging with student leaders.”
EFF SRC member Kinsley Baloyi said they had a meeting at the weekend with other university SRC leaders in Gauteng. He said they were planning a solidarity protest where all Gauteng university campuses would be shut down.
  • VAAL: Both Vaal University of Technology Vanderbijlpark campus and North West University Vaal campus remained closed.
Yesterday morning, North West University Vaal campus reported petrol bombs being thrown at the main entrance of the campus. Guards managed to kill the fire.
  • CAPE TOWN: UCT vice-chancellor Professor Max Price warned that if the university did not continue with studies next Monday, the situation may have severe consequences. He said they held meetings with staff and students but had made no progress.
“The door is still open,” he said.
Student leader Anathi Ngcobo said: “We can’t agree on anything if our comrades are still suspended.”
  • At Wits, the university has announced it will run a poll for staff and students to find out their feelings about resumption of the academic programme.