FORMER Mamelodi Sundowns midfielder Esrom Nyandoro escaped death by an inch last week.
This after thugs broke into his Kempton Park house.
Sunday Sun sources say the men pointed a gun at him before ransacking the house.
One source, who is close to the former soccer star, told the People’s Paper: “When they were done robbing him, they fled with his valuable goods and cash.
“The incident happened on Thursday last week. He almost died,” said the source.
The sources said it all happened within seconds.
“The former soccer star remained cool as robbers helped themselves to his belongings. He also lost at least R25 000 in cash, a cellphone and car keys,” the source added.
Another source said the former Zimbabwe national team captain was alone at the time.
When called for comment, Nyandoro refused to talk about the incident, but only said he is still in shock and wants to keep the matter to himself.
When asked about how much the thugs got away with, he just said: “A lot of cash.”
Sundowns spokesman Thulani Thuswa said he is feeling sorry for his closest friend, Nyandoro.
“This is sad news. Bad things happen to good people. Since I’ve known Nyandoro, he’s always been a cool guy who wants the best for others,” he said.
“As a club, we’re unhappy about what happened to one of our former long-serving players. We hope he’s going to be all right.”
Thuswa went on: “Nyandoro is still my friend. We’ll support him with everything we can so that he gets through this tough time.”
He said Nyandoro is a legend not only in Mzansi football but also in Zimbabwe.
“Nyandoro played many seasons with the Brazilians and won a lot of silverware,” he said.
He described Nyandoro as a humble and a rare leader who always lived for soccer and was known for the clean life he always led.
He said in no doubt the former midfield maestro will be a successful businessman – it’s only a matter of time before all manifest.
Nyandoro left Sundowns at the end of 2014/2015 season.
“We miss him and he’ll always have a special space at the Pretoria outfit,” Thuwsa said.
“He can still offer a lot in the local and Zimbabwean football scene.”
Police spokesman, Captain Tsekiso Mofokeng confirmed Nyandoro was robbed at gunpoint. He confirmed a case of armed robbery is under investigation.