A British couple and their son were brutally attacked because one of them accidentally spilled a drink. The couple Lewis & Rosemary Owen and their 43-year-old son, John believed to be from Scotland were punched to the ground, kicked and battered as they tried to celebrate Thai New Year after a night out in the beach resort of Hua Hin - located 250km from the capital of Bangkok.

The attack started when the son ­accidentally bumped into one of the Thai men and spilled his drink. The drunk Thai man who was visibly angry was approached by his his fellow thugs. In a bid to avoid trouble, the trio, all wearing shorts and sandals, appeared to be trying to reason with the men when suddenly, a Thai struck 68 year old Lewis Owen in the head.

The incident quickly developed into a full-blown attack which left the family battered. When 65 year old Rosemary tried to sit up after her family was laying on the ground, one of the thugs immediately knocked her unconscious by a horrific kick to the jaw, which snapped her head backwards.

An eyewitness, witnessed the attack and was also beaten for trying to intervene, wrote online: "Within 20/30 meters of leaving the bar the Thais were punching the 65-year-old old lady in the face. The elderly gentleman was down on the floor, and their son was beaten very badly. At this point I caught up to the scene and pushed one of the youths away from the woman. I got severely punched and kicked for my troubles, but felt the need to protect this frail lady.

Another person, who claims to have witnessed the assault, claimed that certain thugs attack foreigners when they can.

The Family was later taken to the hospital. While father & son Lewis and John sustained head injuries which required stitches, Rose Owen, suffered a brain injury and is still in hospital. She suffered a build-up of fluid in her brain which had to be removed by surgeons.

Thai police have reportedly arrested three men and charged them with grievous bodily harm. The suspects, who were paraded by police in front of the media, after their arrest are due in court next week. A statement released concerning the incident reads, “An investigation is in process and the suspects will soon be under the jurisdiction of the court. If found guilty, the perpetrators will face full justice under Thai law.