THE long arm of the law finally caught up with a Soweto man wanted for murder, who had been on the run for nearly 23 years.

Sibusiso Shongwe, 39, made his first appearance in the Protea Magistrate’s Court yesterday for allegedly killing Sello Sikhosana on October 10 1993.
Sello , who was 17 years old at the time, was a Standard 9 pupil at Dr Vilakazi Secondary School in Zola.
Shongwe appeared briefly before magistrate Herman Badenhorst where he applied for a Legal Aid lawyer to represent him.
The matter was postponed to February 19.
Sello ‘s family only became aware last year that Shongwe was the one who allegedly stabbed their son to death.
They were informed by Sello’s friends that his killer was living as a free man in Zola.
Shongwe was arrested on Saturday while selling sweets and snacks at his stall in Zola 3, less than a kilometre from Sello’s home.
The case never went to court at the time the crime was committed because the attacker was never arrested.
Sello’s mother Emily Sikhosana, 73, said on that fateful day, Sello was outside their home with friends at around 8pm when one friend came running into the house to report that he had been stabbed.
“I went outside and my son was stabbed once in his neck. Police officers who were patrolling nearby arrived and certified him dead. My son was a good boy and I was expecting a lot from him.
“His death was painful to us and we never thought that the killer will be arrested. We praise the police for their hard work after my family alerted them. I want justice to be served and he must be punished the way murderers are punished by courts,” said Sikhosana.
A police officer who is close to investigations said Shongwe told them that he fled Soweto after Sello’s murder and later spent more than 10 years in jail for rape and robbery.
It was not clear how he was not linked to the murder case when he was arrested for rape.
Sello’s nephew Thami Mbatha grew up wanting to know who killed his uncle and asked around from those who were close to him.
“I approached many of his friends and they all pointed at one person. I used to see Bobo [Shongwe] selling near our home for about two years and never thought he was the one who killed my uncle. After receiving the information, I went to the police and they became active on the case and followed up the information until Bobo was arrested on Saturday [February 6] around 1pm.
“A neighbour who was present when my uncle was killed also came forward and said he knew [Shongwe] very well because they attended the same school at Fontanus Secondary School here in Zola. The witness is willing to testify. It has been a long and emotional journey for us and we can’t forget that,” said Mbatha.
Source: Sowetan