KWAITO star, Zola making a comeback, say TV insiders
KWAITO star, Zola, is said to be making a comeback, say TV insiders.
They claim this time he will be in a new SABC show, Hope With Zola, to be aired in May.
“Zola”, real name Bonginkosi Dlamini, had a TV show that was canned six years ago after its eighth season.
Sunday Sun has heard he got the green light from the SABC, for the new show.
Sources at the SABC claim the show has been adapted from the previous show’s format.
One insider claimed: “Unlike the previous show which was on SABC1, his new show will be aired on SABC2 – and won’t run over three days like before.
“This time Zola’s focus will be on getting young people bursaries and school materials. It’ll be more human interest.”
Another source said: “Zola has submitted documents to the head of the SABC, so the mandate of him being on TV can be met.”
“The SABC needs to keep viewers glued to their screens.”
A third source said: “What impressed the head of SABC is that Zola is organised. He has most of the equipment required to produce the show.
“That guy is impressive in the way he attends to requests by the head of SABC.”
Last year, Sunday Sun reported that the public broadcaster was ready to bring back its prodigal son.
At the time, the idea was supported by the ANC Youth League.
Zola told the SunTeam: “Bozza, please speak to the SABC. I’m ready to start whenever it’s time to do the job.”
SABC spokesperson, Kaizer Kganyago, said: “We’re unaware of this show, and as you may know, SABC2 has just announced its new shows, and Hope with Zola is not one of them.”