Breaking News
recent
SA Blog Awards Badge

Ndaba Mandela shot three times by cops grandson of Nelson Mandela


The grandson of former president Nelson Mandela was among five people shot with rubber bullets by cops during violent protests near the former statesman’s home in Qunu, the Eastern Cape.
The protests have been going on since Friday over the appointment of the ANC ward councillor, Unathi Daniso, who is unpopular with some of the community.
Four of those hit by rubber bullets in clashes with police yesterday were rushed to hospital.
The extent of their injuries is not immediately clear.
Ndaba Mandela, who was hit three times by rubber bullets on Monday, said yesterday he had minor bruises to his thighs.
“I was just standing next to the road after asking protesters what was happening.
“I was busy taking pictures when police fired rubber bullets,” Mandela said.
He had been on his way to Mthatha when he came across the protesters not far from his grandfather’s Qunu home along the N2.
Mandela said people were unhappy that provincial ANC leaders had not showed up to address their grievances.
“All these people want is to be addressed by the ANC leadership. It could take less than an hour to defuse the situation. The residents are saying the ANC had imposed a councillor not in good standing,” said Mandela.
The protest started on Friday when an angry mob clashed with police. Police fired rubber bullets yesterday to disperse the crowd, which had blocked the busy N2 between Mthatha and Qunu.
A team including ANC MP Mandla Mandel ( whose constituency is Qunu), AbaThembu King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo’s wife, Noluntu Dalindyebo, Chief Mfundo Mtirara and his younger brother, Mfundiso, went to the scene to try and defuse the situation yesterday.
Phikolomzi Habe, one of the youths leading the protest, said the ANC regional leadership had not responded to calls to remove a councillor candidate who had been imposed on the community by the party.
“The police shot us while we were not protesting, but sitting on the road,” Habe said.
ANC provincial secretary Oscar Mabuyane said: “They should have had a meeting with the ANC instead of closing the road and protested.”
By the end of the day, the protesters had called off their action and the N2 was clear. 
Khabza Mkhize

The Edge Search

The Edge Search a space for fresh information News, Events, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Fashion, Beauty, Inspiration , Gossip and Funn

Follow us
Twitter: @TheEdgeSearch
Facebook: fb/TheEdgeSearch
Instagram: @theedgesearch
Google+: +theedgesearch

Powered by Blogger.