PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma’s daughter has hit back following a newspaper report suggesting her company’s renewed contract with the SABC is dodgy.
Gugu Zuma-Ncube is executive producer of SABC 1’s show, Uzalo. According to the report in the Sunday Times yesterday, in April last year a six-member review committee recommended that the show not be recommissioned.
Hlaudi Motsoeneng then personally intervened and reversed the committee’s recommendation. A new three-year contract was signed between the SABC and Stained Glass Productions, the company that makes Uzalo. The value of the contract quoted in the story was R167 million.
But Zuma-Ncube and co-owner of the production company, Pepsi Pokane, poured cold water on the idea that anything was improper about the deal. In an interview on Radio 702 on Monday morning, Pokane said the amount – which he said was R158 million – was in line with what the SABC generally pays production companies for shows.
He said that neither he nor Zuma-Ncube had asked Motsoeneng to intervene. Pokane said Motsoeneng had done so because the show was so popular and making money for the SABC.
He went on suggest that Zuma-Ncube was being unfairly targeted because of her political family connections.
Responding on Twitter, Zuma-Ncube wrote:
Fact: # Uzalo was recommissioned because we as a show are currently bringing in the most advertising revenue for the SABC.— Gugulethu Zuma-Ncube (@guguzuma) July 10, 2016