The food we eat can affect our sx drive in both a positive and negative way. Here’s the list to watch
1. Cheese: Dairy, generally, is a libido killer. For many, dairy is congesting and mucus-producing, so not the ideal way to feel before sex!
2. Beans: This depends how you are digesting beans. For some, they’ll feel full of energy after a bean-filled meal; for others, they may feel sluggish or, at worst, bloated and even an increase in flatulence. So, best avoided.
3. Chocolate: Choose your chocolate carefully, as not all chocs are bad. Go for dark chocolate that contains a minimum of 70 per cent cocoa, as it will be the most nutritious way to consume this delicious, sensual food! Dark chocolate is naturally high in many antioxidants. Choose raw for the highest possible levels of naturally occurring nutrients. Chocolate is rich in L-tryptophan, which is a precursor to serotonin. With good levels of serotonin, we feel happier and this decreases our stress levels. Dark chocolate also contains phenyl ethylamine, which is the same ‘feel good’ chemical that the body produces during those first moments of falling in love.
4. Hot dogs: The high saturated content of hot dogs can clog up the vaginal and penile arteries, making this the least romantic handheld treat around. All processed foods are a no for libido. Hot dogs are a very processed food in an overly processed bun that provides very little nutrition. You may feel sluggish and low in energy – not good for feeling sexy.
5. Peppermint: The menthol in peppermint has been shown to reduce testosterone levels, sending your sex drive plummeting. And while bad breath is a turn-off, definitely do not chew gum, as chewing brings more air into your system, making you prone to burp.
6. Tonic water: This often contains quinine, which is used as a flavoring agent in tonic water and some other beverages. Quinine has been used as an anti-malarial agent, but it’s been linked to a decrease in sexual function, so avoid before sex.
7. French fries: Again, an overly processed food that has a very high glycaemic index, meaning that this food releases its energy very quickly into our systems. You may feel initially good on eating them, but pretty soon after, your energy levels will quickly slump, leaving you feeling low – all libido killers!
8. Red meat: For some, red meat energizes, providing them with iron, which will increase oxygenation throughout the body. For some people, red meat itself may make them feel more ‘animal.’